Introducing: Sylvan Lake Property
March 9, 2021
We are excited to announce that through a new property, the Sylvan Lake Project, we will be able to bring our Adeara programming to more women in need across Alberta in new ways. Read more about this new project in collaboration with The PAR Foundation, watch a video showing the property, and learn how you can support us in this effort.
It Began with One Generous Heart
A few months ago, a community member in Central Alberta passed away, leaving a large lakeside property with 80 acres of land and a large retreat centre. In her will, she asked that the property be sold to a women-centred non-profit that was faith-based and serving people in need in Alberta.
Our Adeara-PAR Foundation partnership team, called CARUS, came across this opportunity, and realized that Adeara checked every box that the owner had hoped for. We put our name forward, and our offer was approved!
At this moment, we feel very blessed, optimistic, and hopeful. The need for addiction recovery services in central Alberta is great.
- In 2020, Alberta saw a stark increase in opioid-related deaths. These record levels correlated with a decrease in treatment and harm reduction services due to COVID-19.
- In each previous year before COVID-19, the number of fentanyl-related deaths has risen. Almost all opioid poisoning deaths are now related to fentanyl.
- In 2017, the estimated cost of substance use in Canada was $46 billion. That amounts to $1,258 for every Canadian.
Click the video above to see the Sylvan Lake property and hear from our team. Please note that donations are now to be made straight to Adeara (previously was our project partner, the PAR Foundation).
An Opportunity to Expand Addiction Treatment
Because of this property opportunity, a door has opened. Through this centre and land, Adeara will be able to expand the addiction treatment work it is already doing to central Alberta. In the future, we could see:
- A new short-term addiction treatment program for central Alberta, occurring multiple times a year as an extension of Adeara. This would give even more women in need access to Adeara’s services.
- Retreat opportunities for current Adeara residents and Adeara alumni. Recovery is a life-long journey, and this property will give us one more opportunity to connect with the women who need our continued support.
- Opportunity for partnership with other organizations serving at-risk populations in Alberta. Whether it be a centre for community retreats, summer camps, or more, this centre can serve not just Adeara’s clients, but our larger Alberta community.
- Expansion of property facilities. This expansive property has so much potential: to build more cabins, create walking trails, develop space for outdoor activities and therapy, and more.
Supporting accredited, community-based recovery centres such as Adeara means supporting sustainable change in the drug and alcohol abuse landscape. Today, we have the opportunity to expand our impact and directly address the substance abuse crisis in Alberta. With your support, we can make it happen for Alberta.
We need your support.
We can’t do this alone. Please consider how you can help us reach our goal to cover the $2.5 million purchase price of the estate.
Reach Out or Donate by Cheque
To make a donation, please contact email@example.com or make your cheque payable to Adeara Recovery Centre, Box 68169, 162 Bonnie Doon Centre, Edmonton, Alberta T6C 4N6.
Thank you for being a part of this change.